Monday, January 19, 2009

A few days ago Cohen and I walked down to the Mini super to get some milk and eggs. As we walked to the register to pay, I heard a very gringo voice proclaiming, "NO, I don't want these! I want one of these!"
As I got to the register I saw the owner of the voice.....not just a gringo, but most definitely a turista. He was wearing a cut off tee shirt, Gilligan's Island hat, shorts(not culturally appropriate for men in Costa Rica) and just oozed tourist. I quickly saw that he had been given two 500 colone coins as change, but he wanted a 1000 colone bill. He pulled out a 1000 colone bill from his pocket and kept demanding she take the 500 colone coins back and give him a 1000 colone bill. She kept saying, "No tengo, No tengo." 
Finally he looked at me and said, "Geez, what is she saying, 'no tengo no tengo'?"
I said, "dude, she's saying she doesn't have it."

He said, "Oh." Then he grabbed his purchases and stomped out without so much as a "Muchas Gracias."
The lady behind the counter looked at me and shook her head, "No tengo."
I shook my head and said, "No tengo."
We both smiled and I couldn't help but feeling some kind of a victory. 
I might only have two weeks under my belt, I might still be a gringo and I'll probably always be a gringo, but at least on that day to the woman behind the counter, I wasn't that dreaded Gringo Turista! :)


I promise a big picture post is coming. Our internet speed discourages picture posts but I will get it done!

Dave for Kate, Cohen and Titus

4 comments:

Eric said...

I'm guessing the Gilligan's hat wasn't working for him....great story.

Lynch Family said...

Glad to see there is progress with your schooling! btw-Ryan was watching pbs in spanish and I told him to change it and he said "no Cohen is doing that. I want to too." I said "spanish?" He said "yes". So maybe I can send him down in the future and he won't be such a gringo himself...:)

Aunt Nell said...

khahhhahahaha. Thats awesome. You rock. Don't you feel soo mad at people like that? I am sure that lady behind the counter greatly appreciated you. :) Muy bien!

Awlobo said...

LOL! I thought this was going to be a story about a child throwing a tantrum. It looks like my guess was pretty close. :)

It's been great to read your stories and see how God is working in your lives. We continue to keep you all in our prayers!